Join the team
Join the team!
We are looking for a talented and committed Sustainable Construction Project Manager to support our vision as we continue to grow both in our positive impact on communities and our scale of operation for our group of award-winning social enterprises.
Who are we looking for?
We need a person who can manage the complexities of commercial construction contracts while integrating our USP of facilitating health care and education programmes through our sustainable construction programmes with the community.
Not business as usual
We are most definitely not “business as usual” – we need someone to join our team who shares our values of creating a better world and also embraces new ways of managing grant funded projects and commercial contracts. As a group of social enterprises, we operate on a non-profit distributing model but strive to make a profit to further our impact. This is an exciting time for Down to Earth and the position will appeal to someone who is open to thinking differently. That said, we need to ensure our way of working is meticulous to meet the needs of HSE, our participants, funders and clients and to demonstrate the financial viability of our approach.
Working hours and location
Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Normal working hours are 8:30am to 4.30pm on site – based on project sites across South Wales initially, and then mid Wales and also South West England as we grow.
£45,000 to £50,000 (FTE) subject to experience plus an Electric Vehicle. In addition to the normal pension contribution, we offer extensive training and team development, as well as access to our stunning sites for personal events. We offer 33 days annual leave entitlement inclusive of Bank Holidays with additional annual accrual with years of service.
Purpose & Scope
You will ensure sustainable construction projects are delivered to a high standard, meeting and exceeding client requirements, including timeline, budget, quality of outcomes, and participant & community experience. You will also support strategic growth objectives, working closely with the Head of Projects & Operations to develop processes and systems that enable Down to Earth to scale.
You will lead a cross-functional team, that includes specialist group facilitators and in-house design and build team, to manage the life-cycle of multiple projects
Typical projects you will manage range from constructing social rent homes with refugees, to building large scale health care facilities with NHS patient groups through to building schools with pupils and staff. We only build using natural materials, local timber through a person and nature-centred approach.
- Manage the entire project life cycle of at least 3 large scale construction projects concurrently
- Fully embed health care and education delivery within our construction management plans
- Support project teams in achieving effective community group engagement and meeting contract/funder KPIs
- Follow established process and procedure for project planning, resourcing, recruitment, and reporting
- Manage project budgets and prepare detailed financial forecasts, and ongoing reporting and valuations
- Develop robust estimating and contract sum analysis documents for future schemes
- Complete project reports for clients, funders & internal
- Responsible for the performance and ongoing growth and development of the team within each construction project
- Provide feedback, coaching, and mentoring as necessary.
- Provide and invites feedback to and from cross-functional Project Team Members to facilitate a growth mindset and collaborative development opportunities.
- Manage the project delivery team on a day-to-day basis through team briefings, & toolbox talks, promoting a culture of Accountability & Autonomy
Risk & Compliance
- Ensure an injury-free environment by maintaining the highest possible health, safety and environmental standards across construction sites
- Ensures Project Team members are compliant with operational policies and procedures
- Ensures site Risk Assessments are carried out, filed, and risk-averse procedures are followed
- Manage subcontractors’ work and installations
- Coordinate external H&S accreditation where required
Strategic Project Support
- Work with Leadership Team to support the development of Down to Earth’s growth goals related to creating replicable project management and delivery frameworks across Housing, Healthcare, & Education sectors
- Evaluate effectiveness of the project management lifecycle to identify ways to save time and money and increase impact
- Support the development of ways of working and resource management that make it easy to replicate our approach across a wider geographical reach while maintaining our vision, USP, and standards
Skills, Knowledge & Experience: essential
- Min 5 years project management in construction sector
- Experience managing multiple large-scale projects (£1m budget each) concurrently;
- Experience developing Project Management Systems that result in high quality and timely delivery
- Experience with take offs and creating bill of quantities
- Budget control, estimating and procurement
- Producing project financial cashflows, and construction programmes
- Sustainable construction knowledge and experience
Skills, Knowledge & Experience: desirable
- Familiarity with Agile
- Welsh language skills
- Experience of working in the third sector