Join the team
Join a team creating a better world!
Down to Earth is an award-winning group of social enterprises based on the Gower peninsula, Swansea.
Since 2005 we have been offering life-changing experiences to some of the most disadvantaged communities in Wales through creating stunning venues and outdoor spaces with natural materials and renewable technologies.
By creating, using and looking after these landmark facilities with our groups, we deliver health care and education in new and internationally recognised ways – whilst also showing how it is possible to create a better world: one that is good for people and good for the planet.
Our sites tell the stories of the people we have worked with over the last 17 years and will continue to impact the lives of thousands of people who benefit from our sites moving forwards
Who are we looking for?
As we grow, we are looking for a Facilities Manager to help us continue to provide the very best facilities and spaces to our groups.
- Shares our values of creating a better world
- Embraces new ways of working
- Is meticulous, efficient and driven to contribute to a team which strives to make a positive difference.
It is our mission to offer the very best to those who have the very least, so the Facilities Manager will be key to ensuring we continue to achieve this as we grow.
Be the Change
As a social enterprise, we operate on a non-profit distributing model but strive to make a profit to further our impact.
The role will suit someone who thrives on how we can reduce our impact on the planet, whilst also creating and lovingly maintaining beautiful venues.
This is an exciting time for Down to Earth and the position will appeal to someone who is energetic and open to thinking differently.
What does the role involve?
The Facilities Manager will be responsible for the core infrastructure across our sites on Gower. Currently there are 4 sites – from 1 to 4 acres in size – and include a range of buildings, outdoor spaces, equipment and vehicles. From ensuring our sites are safe and welcoming to working with sub-contractors to complete small works, this diverse role is a blend of organising and managing other people’s work and also getting involved in a range of indoor and outdoor practical jobs – all backed up by robust record-keeping!
Working hours and location
This is a full-time position which will require travelling between 4 sites on Gower.
We expect most of the hours to be Monday to Friday and we are open to flexible working arrangements. The role may also require occasional weekend work which can be worked flexibly.
We also currently have a number of sites we are working on across South Wales. As such this role may require further South Wales travel as part of the role.
Due to the nature of this role we are unable to offer home-based working.
£30,000 based on 37.5 hours per week.
- Having a positive impact on people and the planet
- Pension contributions
- Extensive training and team development, including annual team away days
- Generous Annual leave and long term commitment rewards
- Free access to our stunning sites for personal events
- Subsidised EV charging
- Flexible working hours
Overall responsibility for the development and oversight of systems and the maintenance of the Down to Earth (DTE) buildings and sites, ensuring they are functioning optimally and safely. Particular duties include:
- Developing and implementing a “Facilities Management System” for site maintenance, repair and inventory, working with other team members and sub-contractors
- Participating in project management meetings, helping manage and make best use of our resources
- Supporting the development of new facilities at DTE sites
- Engaging and liaising with external contractors, overseeing their work
- Managing a small in-house team of caretaker/cleaners
- Ensuring compliance with all health, safety and environmental protocols.
- Managing relevant budgets and accounts, including areas for cost savings.
- Monitoring building systems and equipment such as renewable energy systems, fire safety systems etc.
- Dealing with any facilities emergencies and break downs as they arise.
- Booking in and monitoring external contractors according to service intervals and emergency repairs and callouts.
- Simple vehicle maintenance (mainly electric vehicles)
- Management and tasking of land management tasks such as fencing, gardening and working with animals
- Developing plans for improving the efficiency, reducing costs and forecasting future needs of the sites.
- Person specification
- Essential skills:
- Ability to lead and manage teams and projects
- Developing and implementing systems and management plans
- Strong IT skills
- At least 3 years in management of facilities
- Subcontractor management
- Customer service
- Sustainable construction
- Sustainable land management
- BIFM Qualification or equivalent
- Understanding renewable energy systems
- Understanding of Mechanical & Electrical systems
- Use of Electric Vehicles
- Welsh language ability